What is design protection?
What kinds of designs can be granted protection?
Who can obtain design protection?
What rights are conferred by design protection?
How to obtain a design protection in Hungary?
What is the procedure for obtaining the design?
How much does it cost to obtain an design protection?
How to obtain design protection abroad on the basis of a Hungarian application?
What can be done when design protection is infringed?
How long does design protection last?
Law in force: Act XLVIII of 2001 on the legal protection of designs.
In the case of applications filed prior to that date, Decree-LawNo. 28 of 1978 on the Protection of Industrial Designs shall continue to apply, on the basis of which industrial design protection can be obtained.
It grants legal protection for the appearance of a product. By means of this protection, the right holder can create or strengthen his position on the market.
Design protection shall be granted for any design which
- is new on a worldwide level and has individual character,
- is not excluded from protection for some grounds for refusal.
The designer or his successor in title.
It is exclusively the right holder who can exploit the protected designor the person who has been licensed by him to do so (design license contract).
- a design application with the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office,
- an international application under the Hague Agreement Concerning the International Deposit of Industrial Designs.
Foreign applicants have to be represented by an authorized patent attorney or an attorney-at-law, having residence in the country.
Domestic applicants are not obliged to have a representative, however, if necessary, patent attorneys help prepare applications.
A short guide summarizes the registration procedures for designs.
The following table summarizes the fees to be paid.
- a design application with the national industrial property office of the country/countries concerned,
- an international design application with the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office (HIPO) under the Hague Agreement, which shall be forwarded to the World Intellectual Property Organization. An international design application may also be filed directly with the International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva.
Hungarian applicants have to appoint a representative having residencein the country/countries concerned.
In the event of the infringement of design protection, the right holder may institute proceedings at the court, and request
- that the fact of infringement be declared,
- an injunction that the infringer cease his infringement,
- the restoration of the status prior to the infringement,
It lasts for five years beginning on the filing date of the application. Upon request, this term can be renewed for further periods of five years each, four times at the most. After expiration of twenty-five years from the filing date of the application, the protection shall not be renewable anymore.